October 18, 2011

Lose Fat Now! Ask me how.....


The #1 most successful tool is
getting rid of the junk and replacing
it will whole, healthy food. However,
it does take time...you might want
to start by getting rid of the sugary
drinks and slowly move towards
the other....slowly.
Again, I have been faced with the dilemma; "to weigh in or not to weigh in?".  I had a request from a potential client the other day to weigh her weekly as a motivation to continue on her weight loss "journey".  After thinking long and hard about it, I declined her request (but did offer to meet with her and review her healthy eating and physical activity).

I believe this isn't the first blog I have posted relating to the focus on weight loss vs. health as a motivator, and I'm sure this won't be the last.  With weight, fat, and body size in general in the media constantly, I don't blame anyone for wanting to use weigh-ins as a form of motivation. I did it myself not too long ago as a way to educate myself on my own weight fluctuations.  But soon began to base my mood on what the scale reported....one of the first signs you need to get rid of the scale.

 I haven't stepped on a scale for over 6 months now. Interestingly enough, since I stopped weighing myself, I have lost approximately ten pounds of fat. Why? How? I began doing what I knew I should have been doing from the start. Focusing on eating smaller portions and more veggies. I have significantly reduced my snacking and wine drinking (and don't miss it if I were to be honest). I still have popcorn on hand, but don't crave the chips, chocolate, and cake as much anymore.

With a little determination, anyone
can make veggies taste good for
them. There are so many great
blogs all on the beauty of veggies.
I have added my latest find below...
I truly believe, after reading the literature and practicing it on myself, that the only way to lose fat for life (especially if you are over 40) is a focus on healthier eating habits. Yes, physical activity is also important...but for health and not for weight loss. I think that was the most challenging notion to get through my head. Now I'm no longer exercising like a mad woman to burn off the calories of the Hershey's Kiss I bumped into on the way to work. I'm exercising to age well, to breathe well, to increase my energy levels, and to keep my body in good working order into old age. In other words, for health. At the same time, however, I must disclose that the fact it has aesthetically pleasing effects is a big bonus...don't get me wrong.

As we age, we cannot lean
on exercise as an effective
weight loss tool. It will also
poop you out and burn you
up! Eat well...exercise for health.
If you are wondering how to begin....may I suggest paying attention to your serving sizes over the next week. Not so much WHAT you're eating, but how much. Just by making a small adjustment to your serving sizes, you could see a change in your weight overtime. The next step would be eating more veggies and reducing the amount of red meat and refined grains (white rice, pasta, bread, etc.). After that, why not try and limit the amount of junk food in your diet. How many calories are you drinking by choosing orange juice over water? You could decrease your calories by 300 - 500 just by eliminating the calories from drinking juices, pop, and other sugary drinks.

Progress slowly, give yourself time to adjust to your new regime, celebrate the "failures" as they are tools for education, and within the year you will see and feel a difference.....without the scale.

If you are looking for recipe ideas to try out..or just want to look at the pretty pictures (like I often do), here's my latest find (thanks to Nicole....you know who you are).  If anyone has any other blogs or websites that make eating vegetables easier, I would love to hear from you!  Check out....http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus

K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.