July 6, 2011

If You Could Change Your Life.....

There is a contest being held in my town at the moment.  The question posed to the contestants is simple; if you could change your life, what would you change and why? The winner wins a new wardrobe, hairdo, laptop computer, and a $10,000 grant for books and tuition at a local college.  When I first heard this contest announced on the radio, I thought about the question for a while.  If I could change my life, what would I change?

Of course, the first answer for many would include making more money, having a bigger house, a better looking partner, or having never to work again. Maybe I was dropped on my head as a small child, but those things don't motivate or interest me much (and I already have a drop dead gorgeous babe of a man friend). I have full autonomy at work and in my personal life. Although I'm not completely sold on my town, it's growing on me (or at least something is).  The only thing I could think of was a change of mind. I need a new attitude in the biggest way.

I try to remember stuff like this during "my moments" but something evil takes over. Is this just human nature or am I just a big grumpy pants?
If I changed my attitude I could see past the rudeness of strangers. I could appreciate and celebrate my panus (yes, I used the "P" word again...it was neccessary). I could let go of fear and submit all the proposals I have saved on my desktop and exceed my own professional expectations. I could give every living thing a smile (even when that living thing flicks a cigarette out the window or talks in the movie theatre). If I could change one thing in my life, it would be my mind. I wish I could view the world as I did when I was 10 (although it could get me in some serious trouble but at least my trust in all things good would still be intact). 

How come these cards never
tell you how to do it...just do it?
How do I make each moment
beautiful when I'm scraping
that dried up, solidified raisin
off my kitchen floor???
I try my best to live my life like a bumper sticker. I try to make the best of each day as if it were my last - yet I still believe in tomorrow ...hence the cognitive dissonance (a big fancy word for procrastination). I try to love my neighbour as myself (unless he is too loud and cuts his trees down before 8 am on a Saturday morning). I try to be the change I wish to see in the world until I witness a blatant disregard for others (and then I can't be held responsible for my actions). Finally, I tried to give whirled peas a chance....but the colour just grossed me out too much.

If I could change my life I would change how I am in the world. And, let's face it, I don't need to win a contest to start doing that. I need to make the decision to change.  I do start out my days with the goal of patience and kindness....some days I'm successful and others go to hell in a hand basket....and I guess that's okay as long as I continue to try.


So what keeps most of us from doing this?
American Idol? I'm thinking it may be a
combination of complacency, fear, and bad
experiences. Is it in our nature to do this or is this
all about the elusive self actualization I hear everyone
talking about? Either way, it is a great
goal...I just wish someone would tell me
how to achieve it (I need a step by step manual).
 What does this have to do with health? Everything. How we treat others, in my opinion, tells a lot about how we treat (and think about) ourselves. I'm hard pressed to think of one person who lives their life in balance (or as close to it as possible) who acts disrespectfully to others. Conversely, those who intimidate or bully typically are unhappy with their lives in some way. In other words, those that hurt are hurting (although it is true, it is hard to remember when I am pushed...I just wanna push back). 

So my question to you is the same...if you could change your life, what would you change and why? The answer(s) may be hard to face, but they could lead you to a whole new way of living you never considered.  Few of us really actualize our potential......how would our lives look if we did? What would it take to get there? Pretty cool stuff to think about....

That's all I got for today. Thanks for reading!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.