May 9, 2011

I Believe in Change

Changing can appear this hard
at first, but once you take that first
step, you feel like you could do
anything you set your mind to.
I know from much experience.
Everyone has interests. Some enjoy reading while others like movies. Some love the great outdoors, while others get into renovating. Me? I love school. I don't know where it comes from, but I have a passion for the classroom. So it has sucked a bit since I finished my masters degree a few years ago.  I was walking the earth with no direction. It was like the lights went off....until I found another masters program to start working on (albeit very very slowly).  I spent this weekend sitting in a classroom talking and learning about interpersonal communication....I have yet to stop vibrating from the excitement (no judgement). Yup, it was my first step to an M.Ed. in Counselling Psychology!

But that's not what I want to write about today. I want to talk about something we did in class this weekend. We were asked to list all the beliefs we had around change. As change is one of my most favorite subjects in the whoooooooole world, I was like a kid waiting for her first hot fudge sundae (sorry, I can't think of any other way to define it)....I must have filled a page (single spaced, approximately 10 font writing) with my beliefs. I thought I would share them with you today.

My Beliefs About Change
By Kathi Cameron

I believe you can change at
any age...even 100.
I believe change is good. I believe change can happen when you are least expecting it. I believe the process of change is more important than the change itself. I believe there is much fear around change. I believe we learn through change. I believe change is always for the better no matter what the change is. I believe change can be quick or take a long time. I believe we all change differently. I believe we change when we are ready. I believe we can't change through coercion or shame. I believe we must be the change we want to see in other (a little Gandhi'ism there). I believe with change come wisdom. I believe change is one of the hardest things to do. I believe change is best through the support of others. I believe we all must change. I believe lapses and relapses are a healthy part of change. Finally, I believe that to change is to be human.

To that end, and relating it to the theme of this blog, sitting for two days talking about interpersonal communication, counselling ("helping"), and behaviour change, has only solidified my strong belief that it isn't enough to join a weight loss group, fitness club, or diet center to lose weight, exercise more, or eat better. Change comes from within, it takes time and education, only happens through a few "wagon accidents" along the way and it should be enjoyable.  Of course, there are those people who wake up one morning and change their lifestyle habits without looking back.....but I believe they are only urban legends there to serve as a buzz kill for the rest of us.

God, I love school!
K

PS. This is my 200th post! I remember (not that long ago) when I thought it would be cool to start a blog so I could vent my frustrations, tell my stories, and share my views on stuff.....I never thought I would write 200 posts. Too bad my book isn't coming along as well as this bloody blog.

To those who take the time to read this rants, I appreciate your visits, your comments (on and off site). Knowing that just one person is ready (and enjoying) these posts keeps me motivated to continue. After saying that, I have had over 6,000 visitors to the site and would love to increase the readership. If you know of anyone who would enjoy this information, please share and forward. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks.
K

2 comments:

  1. I am the faithful one.... and I to love change! Yes, sometimes hard to adapt to but always good and a stepping stone in the right direction. I appreacite your information so much MORE now (I have changed) because years ago I would be still trying to "focus" on all this info and be thinking of cookies!!! Focus!!! Thanks Kath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock Anon;
    thanks for your post! You always make my day.
    K

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.