May 10, 2011

The Healthiest Pizza EVER...in just 4 simple steps!

True...nothing beats take-out pepperoni,
but this pizza competes well AND is
super healthy! I can live with that.
My favorite dinner in the whole world is pizza. Pepperoni pizza with red wine to be exact.  Take-out pepperoni pizza with a nice big glass of Cab-Sav (and one of those movies you can't take your eyes off of) to get irritating about it. Unfortunately, since my big "healthy eating" change, I have been working towards creating a fast, uber-healthy, and super tasting pizza that may not be like my original, but makes me just as happy.

I think I have finally found the recipe. This one takes less than 30 minutes from counter to plate, doesn't involve making your own crust (in fact, limits the crust) and the kids will love making their own.  I can't even take the credit for this idea (and it is probably something you already know about and even do...I take longer than most to learn these things).  My friend "Cookie", whom we have already heard about in a recent post, gave me the idea through one of her brilliant comments and I thought I would test it out myself.

The pizza I make is the cancer-fighter pizza. This pizza has the following ingredients:

1 large whole-wheat tortilla (a.k.a. wrap)
kale
swiss chard
spinach
red pepper
red onion
2 - 3 tbspns tomato sauce (any kind will do)
1/2 - 1 cup of skim milk mozzarella cheese





Step 1:  Chop up as much of the green leafy stuff as you want. Note that there is "shrinkage" (note the Seinfeld term for all the fans out there) once you heat it up in the pan. Add these to already browned red onion (in the pan) and heat with a bit of canola oil (or whatever) for about 3-4 minutes or until leaves wilt and the green turns really green.



Dark green leafy veggies like the ones above are cancer fighters and best served steamed or heated for short periods of time or they go all squidgy and soft and won't be good for anyone.


This is the wrap I used. You can use anything. I thought this might be as close to whole wheat as I could get.


If you can read the ingredients list, you will note that there are a few words hard to pronounce and more than 6 ingredients.  The chances are good this is still processed...but what can you do? I have yet to find something pure of impurities....got any suggestions?




Step 2: Get your wrap and put your sauce on it.




Step 3: Spoon veggies (including the addition chopped up red pepper) onto the pizza and sprinkle a light topping of cheese. I don't use a lot anymore so 1/2 cup is plenty, but for those who love cheese....whatever works.







A serving size of cheese (a small cube) has only 70 calories.


Step 4: Place on baking sheet and into the oven at 400 - 410 degrees for about 10 minutes.




One tortilla is all you need and is amazing all cut up on a plate. Kids will love to make their own and you can add anything you want to it. If you are watching your calories and portions, however, this is a brilliant way to do it. It's quick, easy, and really good.

If you try this yourself, I would love to hear how it turned out. Also, if you have alternative ways that will make it even better...I would really appreciate your tips.

K

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post and how did cookie give you this idea???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through one of her brilliant comments...of course.
    K

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.