April 25, 2011

R is for Rest


I can't complain too much. This is my
morning running route. Beats breathing
in car exhaust and running through
crowds of people on the street, eh?
I'm not always quick on the draw. I know....it seems kinda hard to swallow, but sometimes I really do have to think long and hard about my next post. What catchy, informative, and - above all - entertaining topic can I write about next.
I was thinking just this at 7:30 this morning as I was about to cough up my first of two lungs in the woods running next to a woman who doesn't even breathe heavy (biotch....in the nicest way possible of course). I have just come back from a few days away for the Easter long weekend and only had one day (Sunday) without exercise. I felt as though I had taken off a week. So I thought I would take this opportunity to talk about the importance of rest. Rest for the mind, body, and soul....not just the muscles.

Of course, the "Rest Principle" is a biggie (although completely overlooked) in fitness training.  Your body needs rest to repair and strengthen the tissues you break down through exercise. Without rest, your performance and energy will slowly decrease and you will be left wondering where you will find the strength to lift your pen at the office.  The same principle applies to the mind and soul.

This picture was taken at Beacon Hill Park in
Victoria this weekend. Nothing comes close
to a lazy day in the grass, next to the ocean,
among the tulips and daffodils...in Victoria.
I always need to go back home to appreciate what I have here. Although, I have to admit, I have had a hard time adjusting to the smaller town "experience" (it's only been five years this summer...I'm hoping this is my year to embrace it) I am starting to really love coming "home" to my new surroundings. I think the same can be said for our jobs, relationships, and ourselves. We need to go "away" to appreciate what we get to come home to. Isn't that the big lesson in the Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, and dozens of other Hollywood hits?

I think, however, the trick is knowing when a vacation is needed. I'm not talking a trip somewhere exotic, just a trip away from the normalcy of your life. It could be a day away in another town, or in a book, or doing something completely different. We all know this is important, but we also all get wrapped up in our work, kids, family, friends, and drama not to notice how long it's been since we rested.

Rest is an investment in our mental, spiritual, and physical health. It can save our relationships and enhance our happiness and appreciation for what we have and where we are in life. Of course, it can't change how we may feel about going back to reality....I don't know what can help you with that except maybe chocolate and red wine. Of course, rest can also provide us with that perspective that may help us make decisions or help us realize what we truly want. Sometimes these revelations are a relief and other times (if you are lucky) they can be really scary (those are the best kind in my opinion...many people walk around never experiencing the truth in themselves). Oh God...I better go...I"m starting to sound like a self-help book.

There are some definite favorite spots of mine in
my new town...this picture of the marina is one of them.
That's all I have on this rainy holiday Monday. Now I am going to go to my small town gym, plug into the stationary bike and cycle to Oprah (no judgement)!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment