March 8, 2011

One Heck of a Tasty Recipe!

Over the last few months, I have dedicated much time to learning new ways of cooking that will keep up my interest in healthy eating ('cause let's face it....eating the same old carrots, broccoli, and cucumbers can be a bit boring). So I would like to offer up what I have been doing and a recipe that I have created on my very own that I have really enjoyed. But first, I have talked about journalling your way through change and I thought I would offer what I have done over the past few months.

First, I started with purchasing a notebook. I got this one from a funky store on Saltspring Island.


Every Sunday I take some time to create a menu plan for the week including a plan for workouts and snacking. If you look closely enough, you may see my note proclaiming my overwhelming sense of crappiness. I managed to overcome it in the end.


Then I searched for some recipes that I found easy, simple, and easy. From there, I created a shopping list that would support each recipe.  I found many of my favorites on bethsjourney.com. and then tweaked them to suit myself. But today, I thought I would offer my own recipe that I made up all by myself.

Yam & Quinoa Bake in a Lettuce Leaf (I wish I could think up something catchy..but there ya go)


Take a frickin look at this! This recipe combines the protein from Quinoa, the greatest of Yams, and all the good things that come from green leafy veggies. Add a slice of avocado and you have your fruit
(yes it's a fruit) and the "good" fat your body needs.

Did you know that yams help reduce the crappy symptoms of PMS? It's true! Follow the steps below or switch it up to make it your own.

1. Follow the directions for cooking Quinoa (same as 20 minute rice).

2. Poke 1 or 2 yams with a fork and place in oven for approximately 30 minutes under 400 heat. I would suggest placing a baking sheet under them to catch the drippings. I had to learn the hard way.

3. While you are waiting for things to cook, grab a big bowl and mix together the following ingredients...
- chopped scallions (green onions)
- cilantro (if you're into that stuff)
- two tablespoons of Greek Plain Yogurt (add more if you want)
- two tablespoons of salsa (or more if you want)
- diced tomatos (Roma Toms work well)
- 1 cup of Panko crumbs (or Corn Flake crumbs)
- when the yam(s) are ready, scoop out the meat and mash in with ingredients.
- when Quinoa is done place as much as you want in the bowl (a cup about does it)


I had no idea what a Panko crumb was until a month ago. This is the package I found in the grocery store.

4. Mix it all together and scoop into a baking pan. I sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top for added flavour, but you could add whatever you want.

5. Cook under 400 heat for approximately 15 minutes (checking as you do). You just want a nice brownish top...but it is great without this final step.

6. Scoop the Yam/Quinoa Bake into large lettuce leaves and hold onto your hat.....it's fabulous! Warning: they are more filling than they look. I found three way too much....but I ate 'em anyway.

If you make this for your dinner, I would love to know how you liked it. If you are trying to reduce your meat eating or are already a vegetarian looking for alternatives, you may like it.

Tomorrow, I will detail an amazing quinoa/black bean burger I made tonite....it was so good, I am sure I will be dreaming about it.

That's all I got.
K


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.