February 25, 2011

Fat, Sugar, and the Movies!

I have to admit, I've always wanted stardom...do you think
maybe if I found the secret to life long weight loss I could
get the star treatment? Ya....I know. Whatever.....
On the eve of the big Oscar weekend, I can't help but think of all the beautiful people in Hollywood getting ready for their big night at the Oscars. From starvation diets and spray on tans to taping boobage and lifting buttocks, I can't even guess all the crazy things the average starlet has to go through to look her best for the camera (and the dreaded "best" and "worst" dressed lists post event...you gotta love Helen Bonham-Carter for not giving a crap). I love love love movies and am a big fan of Oscar night and am dedicated (every year) to seeing all (or most) of the films nominated for Best Picture.

This year wasn't hard as most of the movies up for this award were easy to sit through.  Hands down, my favorite was "The King's Speech", although I was sitting on the edge of my seat through "The Black Swan" (even though my man-friend was cringing the entire time only to proclaim later that it was the worst movie he ever saw...he must really love me).  At any rate, I'm sure many people will be flocking to the theatres this weekend for a chance to view a few before the big night.

If loving the looks of this makes me wrong...I don't want
to be right! A great movie and munchies...the best!
And what goes great with watching a movie in an overcrowded theatre with a bunch of woman behind you talking loudly and kids in the front row texting and giggling the whole time (sorry....must stay on topic...that's another blog for another time)? A big tub of hot buttered popcorn, an icey Coke, and maybe even a bag of M&Ms (at least that would be my choice)...until I found out how much fat, sugar, and calories came with this popular movie combo.  Are you ready for this? If you are a Cineplex patron and enjoy your large corn, large drink, and 150g bag of Milk Chocolate M&Ms, you will also enjoy the feelings of lethargy caused by the 24 grams of saturated fat coursing through your arteries along with the 2,320 calories!  That's right...that ain't no typo....2,320 calories...in one after dinner snack! Oh the humanity of it all! When I first read this from one of my fabulous monthly Nutrition Action Newsletters (you gotta get this subscription if you are into truthful nutritional information reported by non-biased and research based writers - http://www.cspinet.org/nah/) my legs went funny and I nearly fell over.

Based upon recent findings, asking for
no butter doesn't make a dent in the
calories consumed. So why put yourself
through that....order real butter!
However, if you frequent the Empire theatre (and want to go smaller) you can enjoy one small corn, one regular drink, and one 50g Smarties for only 940 calories and 6 grams of saturated fat.  It's still a lot for one snack, but after the shock of the news above...I'm sure you are feeling better about this choice. I am.

I guess if you are trying to eat well and exercise everyday to loose a few pounds, you would want to avoid the concession altogether. However, if you ARE eating well and enjoying daily physical activity, for the health of it, there is no reason why you can't enjoy the entire movie experience and treat yourself to the fat, sugar, and calories.  Conversely, if you are a movie addict and find yourself at the theatre more than once a week, you may want to reconsider your munchie choices.  Junk food is fabulous and a healthy part of any diet when consumed in moderation...but when it gets outta control..well...that's just crazy talk.

And the winner is?  I predict the Best Director will go to the Social Network (just a guess), the Best Actor will be Colin Firth, Best Actress will be Annette Benning, and the Best Picture of 2011........The King's Speech.  I'll have some M&Ms riding on this...so I better be right.

I don't think I need to remind you
of this "Worst Dressed" winner.
Although I give her an A for
creativity!
That's all. Enjoy the movies "and take a look around you...those are the people you disturb when you talk or text....turn your cell phones off".  Practice courteous movie participation.

K

2 comments:

  1. I wrote an article a couple of years ago about the best and worst movie snack picks - frozen fruit bars (if the theater offers them) are one of the best bets, as well as low fat candy such as gummy bears and Raisinettes. Actually, I recommended sneaking in your own healthy snacks! And can we mention the prices of food at the movies today?

    Sadly, I haven't seen any of the films nominated this year...I'm so out of the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Pam;
    Yes...I tend to sneak in my own healthy options too, I just didn't want to go on-line and openly suggest it.
    The prices of food in the movies is laughable. I seriously have to laugh so it doesn't hurt so much.
    Of all the movies to see...go see (or rent) "The King's Speech". It is very cute.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.