December 17, 2010

What's getting in your way of making that change?

It's funny, I have been sitting here staring at the computer with the goal of writing a post on barriers...but nothing is happening. I have a barrier to writing about barriers. It's like looking into a mirror in front of a mirror.....but I digress.
Tonite I spoke to a group about making healthy habits. Evidently, I have a masters degree on the subject, but have no idea what makes one person lose the weight for life and another ride the ever-popular roller coaster.......oh my God, they killed off "Ray" on CSI..what the hell? Sorry...I'm watching the TV in the background....I digress.

This is an reenactment of the chocolate
chip incident (loosely based on reality)
...only I never look this good binging
on anything.
 I do know that our environment plays a massive role in our successes and failures. If we live with a choco-holic, and are trying to cut out chocolate (but really...who would....that's just crazy-talk) it would be near to impossible to accomplish.  Take me, for example, I'm not really a fast learner...yesterday I bought a ton of ingredients for holiday baking for this weekend. In my cupboard, as I type, sits one package of peanut butter chips, one package of butterscotch chips, and one (half) package of Hershey's mini kisses...and it continues to shrink. It all started with the little voice in my head saying I really need a hit of Hershey's so I opened the package, took a few (okay...maybe a little more than a few), put it back and walk away. Two seconds later that same voice was making promises that just one more handful wouldn't hurt...........this went on for 30 minutes. Needless to say I continue to have issues with "self-control".

Why do today, what you can put off until tomorrow?
This is why I'm not CEO of my own Health Promotion
company......
Barriers lie, unseen, like roadside bombs ready to go off at any moment....oh...nope...Ray's alive (okay, now I'm confused)....but I digress. Unless we are aware of our barriers, we fall pray to them. They could include our social lives; going out for dinner more than staying in. They could include the food stalked in your pantry and fridge. OR..they could be sitting in your living room Armoir in the shape of a TV. Yes, for me, this is my barrier. Not that I'm addicted to it, but it does take me away from doing great things (yes, I may be blowing it a bit out of proportion...but who knows, I could have written the next bestseller if it wasn't for CSI...I blame CSI for not being invited on Oprah!).

At any rate, I'm just saying, it is important to be aware of what may get in your way when you begin a new lifestyle change. If you will eat the junk in your house...get rid of the junk in your house. If you are constantly seduced by the couch after work, go to the gym on the way home, at lunch, or in the morning. In a way you are your own Dr. Drew (as seen on TV), you are removing the triggers that promote a certain behaviour. You just have to be aware of what triggers you.

I promise you will slip back into old behaviours and, hopefully, you will learn from them along the way. As each one occurs, take notes, make changes, and create a stronger action plan that will help you overcome that barrier if you should run into it again (like a Tim Horton's donut running into your face by accident...it happened to a friend of mine just yesterday....no, wait, that was a meatball).

Kay, that's it. I have to nurse my chocolate chip food baby as I watch the end of CSI....oh my God..this is the one Justin Bieber is in...ya..right...I'm buying that he's a bad guy...no bad guy would have hair like that....whatever.
K

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you posted CSI spoilers in your blog. *sad face*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooo sorry, A. I thought all the CSI freaks would have seen it as it was a re-run. Is there anything I can do to make it better?

    ReplyDelete