November 16, 2010

Insert Catchy and Exciting Health Title Here...

Okay....so I have been less than motivated to post lately. I note my last visit was November 7. How pathetic is that????? The thought of writing has been there, but I have been putting it off every day due to.....lack of motivation or inspiration...perhaps PMS? I don't know. I haven't felt the love of the subject matter this week. Interestingly, this feeling of defiance has been coupled with eating real hot dogs, chips, white bread, and margarine (not to mention tater tots....) oh the humanity! ..I've become unleashed...a real rebel this week.  But all that changed after my experience in the gym last night....

There I was, working out, minding my own business, not bothering a soul and daydreaming about behaviour change theory (not too far from the truth...) when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, came a high pitched voice...."Hey lady! When are you going to get to posting something new on your blog????"

Now, don't get me wrong. The fact she even asked was a huge compliment to my blog, not to mention the knowledge that she is actually taking the time to read what I'm writing...so "thank you" beautiful, smart, and very stylish mystery woman (you know who you are).  It did make me think that I may be the creator of my own stress.  Until now, I have been able to post almost every day and haven't hit a dry spell.  I have imposed the demand of daily writing on myself to the point of feeling the guilt when I don't do it. Sick.

For a week, this blog has been on my "to do" list right up there with finding an easy and fun way to cure the obesity epidemic. For a week, I was searching for a topic that interested me enough to write about and found nothing. For one week, I have been feeling bad about not providing my one reader with a new article to entertain and consider. I suck.

How many times do we stress out over self imposed demands? Many people feel the demands of a clean house over their head, others know they should be mowing the lawn, still others know they shouldn't be eating deep fried cheese but can't help themselves (...although there are programs for you people so you got that going for ya)....why do we "should" all over ourselves? I mean, if the living room isn't clean by Sunday afternoon...what's gonna happen? If we don't loose those extra pounds before a special event is all hell breaking loose? If we don't bake that pie from scratch or host the perfect party...who's going care (and if you are able to answer this with a list of names, you need nicer friends)?

It is a fact that stress is not only bad for our health, it can lead to a world of hurt including death. If we can remove our own expectations (many times through setting perfectionist standards for ourselves) we are one step closer to balance and a healthier way of being. So the next step would be listing all those "shoulds" or "have to's" that are waiting to be noticed like irritatingly creepy garden gnomes lined up on your next door neighbours lawn. How many are there and what can be removed from that list?

So in a nutshell, I don't have anything too deep or hilarious to share with you today, but I am going to work on adjusting my own expectations (...or maybe I'll get to that tomorrow....after attending to the apparent procrastination problem I seem to have).  I will try my very best to what I can with what I have (note the slightest hint of ambiguity) and the rest will have to wait until later.

That's all I got...
K

No comments:

Post a Comment