October 7, 2010

The "B" Word...

...striking fear in the hearts of many.

I'm the one in the blue...
It was 11am as I was standing in front of a class shuddering to think that in less than one hour I will be in a bathing suit out on a pool deck..in public...in front of people I work with. I wanted to try pool running (as everyone has said I have to try pool running) but there was no way I was going to suffer this humiliation alone so I recruited a few friends to suffer with me. There we were, in the change room, slipping on the spandex (they're made of spandex aren't they?) and sharing our desires to turn back or even worse, peuk over the sheer uncertainty and fear of walking from the change room (into the equipment room for our floaties) and then into the pool.

How were we going to do it in a way that will make us relatively invisible? Where do we have to go, what's our strategy, and how fast can we get from point A to point B? It's all a blur now..I don't know how we did it (it's probably my subconscious pushing that horrific experience down into a place I never have to visit again). But the important thing is ..we did it! We made it into the pool with our floaties and started doing what so many injured runners and other athletes swear by...we started to pool run.

Now anyone who craves the excitement of speed be warned...this is not a fast sport.  Speaking for myself, I felt like a frog in a blender as my leg and arms were moving as hard and fast as they could and I was moving slower than a turtle running through peanut butter.. It was hilarious. It was fun. It was hard. And it was worth getting into a bathing suit for. After the exercise, we headed to hot tub, to the sauna, and then, feeling as loose as an overcooked noodle just pulled from the pot, we headed back to our offices looking radiant and relaxed (or maybe it was the remnants of the sauna on our faces). At any rate, we tried something new together and had fun doing it (didn't we ladies????).

In the end, we had a ball!
Of course, now that I'm a pool runner, I will be blogging more about the fabulous benefits of this activity. I may even invest in a real bathing suit one day (not the "just-sitting-at-the-beach-in-Mexico" version). But then again, I did buy that yoga mat when I tried a few classes and it still sits in the trunk of my car....unwrapped.

I gotta go and ice my butt, my thighs, and my arms now....stiffness setting in, vision bluring, room spinning (just kidding....sort of).

That's all I got.
K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.