September 21, 2010

Walk Away from the Diet Book!

First of all, there is nothing wrong with wanting to "look good naked". I just spent my Saturday talking to a group of fitness leaders about overcoming our fear of fat and how one can be healthy and overweight at the same time...so I want to clarify this post.  I'm not talking fat loss for health, I'm talking fat loss for looking better and feeling better in your pants.

If you are one of the millions of people out there who want to look better in your pants, today I want to offer you a safe, sound, and free first step to loosing fat.  I guess the better idea is to present you with three "umbrella" steps and go through each one over time. The three steps are; get with the food guide and focus on serving sizes and whole foods, exercise 5 - 7 days per week, and understand who you are, what you want, who you want to be, and how you are going to get there. These steps could fill a book and aren't as easy as 1-2-3. However, for the next couple of weeks, I'm going to focus on all three in great detail.

STEP ONE - Walk away from the diet book and pick up the Canada's Food Guide
..of course if you are American, you would pick up the American equivalent. I was never a fan of the food guide as a personal trainer. It wasn't until I came here and used it as a tool for behaviour change coaching that I realized it's simplicity and effectiveness. Click onto  http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/index-eng.php and get your free guide here! What is a serving size of each food group? Which food group should be most represented in a healthy diet? How can you menu plan to get all groups (although for vegetarians/vegans there are options)?

WEEK ONE - Focus on your serving size. Just by eating less, you may see a difference in your weight. Do not proceed to the next week's challenge until you have mastered the serving sizes. Eat what you normally do, but eat less.

NEXT WEEK - Start by recording a few days of what you are eating without change. Then, colour code your food record with the colours of the food guide (red = meat / alternatives, blue = dairy, etc.). Is the page all red or yellow or do you have green in there? Now, start making a few changes every week. Add a few more veggies, snack on more fruit and less processed food.

The ultimate goal is to make the change from processed foods to whole foods and vegetable based meals. Remember, your plate should be half veggies, 1/4 meat, and 1/4 carb/starch. By eating whole foods you are significantly reducing your; salt, sugar, chemicals, and "bad" fats...not to mention feeling better, smarter, and way more good lookin'!

No, this isn't wrapped up in a fancy package or promising you fast results. I'm not asking you to send me $40.00 plus HST for my slick and glossy weight loss program. I am offering you sound, scientifically-based, free, health information (and so should everyone else in a perfect world). Please consider the above and do not hesitate to contact me for more information.

That's all I got...for now. More to come....

K

PS. Excuse my veggie pictures...I thought they were hilarious (even though they may not fit with the theme).

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent article. You cut through all the fluff and got right down to the basics. You also write so well that I was engaged from the first sentence to the final sentence which leaves me ready for the next one.

    ReplyDelete