July 5, 2010

Everything old is new again!

Just like fashion trends, fitness trends do come around again if you wait long enough. I have been in the fitness "biz" for over 20 years now and I am seeing the old classes repackaged and marketed as "new and exciting".  I mean, why re invent the wheel...just re invent the marketing.

An example of this is the new fitness craze that is Zumba.  I must have been under a rock for the past year or so as I just heard of this class not too long ago after reading an add in the paper.  I am fortunate enough to have a Zumba instructor working at the gym I go to so I participated in this dance-type class on Saturday.

I loved it! I was transferred back to the old cardio-funk days of fitness when the classes were big and the instructor was leading more of a dance class than an aerobics class. Women of all ages, all abilities, and all body types were taking part and having fun. The instructor was very welcoming and very motivating. In addition, she was a role model for the look of "health" and not the usual scantly clad tight-assed 10 year old fitness leader (I generalize I know). 

If you have been to a Jazzercise class you are very familiar with Zumba. The only difference between the two is the outfit, the music, and the moves. However, everything is packaged and well thought out as the instructor keeps to a pre-designed dance program that is different for every song. My only criticism (constructive of course) is the lack of effective cueing and direction as all moves are lead on the fly. I was completely lost most of the time, but as the leader suggests, it does get easier the more you go.

Yes, you know you are getting old when you start seeing the fashion you grew up with repeated. The same can be said for the trends in fitness.  At least we are not seeing the thigh master return....at least not yet!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.