May 28, 2010

Why Weight?

So I'm still hobbling and no real gains have been made (although I'm sure my physio would argue with me). Yes, I can now activate my quadriceps - whew hew! I shouldn't be so ungrateful, but at the moment I am still in "feeling sorry for myself" mode. I haven't exercised for 10 days now and already am fearful of "creeping obesity".  This is a hard post to make due to the nature of this blog and the messages of the body. However, I never said I had it all figured out. I continue to struggle with body image and have always used exercise as a way to manage it. Now I can't move.  Crap.
Since February 2010, I have worked at making nutritional changes here and there. I eat more veggies and limit my junk intake AND have cut my wine consumption in half! However, I still - no matter how hard I tried- used exercise as a weight loss tool.  Did you know there has been a few studies to suggest that exercise does not help you loose weight? It's not so much the science of it as it is the psychology that I find interesting. You see, when one uses exercise for fat loss the scene may go like this.  You go for a 30 - 60 minute run and maybe some weights. After that, you may enjoy that extra cookie or a pizza because you just worked out and "earned" it. THIS is why we don't loose weight. In general, people tend to exercise so they CAN enjoy the fun foods. 
So my goal, during this time of sitting on my bum and icing,  is to focus on healthy nutrition and ways to enjoy fun foods without eating junk food. Over the next few posts, I want to comment on this further. I am starting to experiment at home with "junk" food and am finding ways to create healthy munchies. I'll keep you posted.
Meanwhile, I'm thinking of all the people I talk with about weight loss and almost every one focuses on pounds lost. Even if they are exercising and eating well, they don't consider themselves healthy unless they get down to their goal weight. We are waisting our lives focused on our fat and for what? Will we find happiness at a size (insert dream size here)? NO. And when is that fight over or is it a life long battle? All I know is I am dying for a night of unbridled high fat consumption without the feelings of guilt the next morning. Seriously, it's like having a one night stand with a pepperoni pizza. Maybe you have no idea what I'm talking about, but I doubt I'm the only one out there with these thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment